Nilai, 30 Mac – A Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP) student was awarded the Science, Technology and Innovation Programme Leadership Award in conjunction with Anugerah Tokoh Siswa Kebangsaan 2018 which was held at Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM), here.
The student Muhammad Nurfiqri Mohd Hajar hails from the School of Business Innovation and Technopreneurship (PPIPT). He succeeded bringing home a cash prize of RM1,000 along with a trophy and a certificate.
The award was presented by Dato' Kamel bin Mohamad, Deputy Secretary General of the Malaysian Ministry of Education (KPM).
Apart from Muhammad Nurfiqri, another two UniMAP students, Aqila Natasya Allawi and Shahrun Nizam Shahrun Nahar, also won the Director General's Special Awards for outstanding achievements in 2018.
The UniMAP Vice Chancellor Dato’ Prof. Dr. Zul Azhar Zahid Jamal and the Deputy Vice Chancellor Student Affairs & Alumni (HEPA) Prof. Dr. Mohd. Fo'ad Sakdan were also present at the ceremony to show support for the students.
Earlier, the Malaysian Minister of Education Dr. Maszlee Malik said during the opening of ATS 2018 that the winners were selected based on their involvements in programmes, their academic achievements and their personalities.
He added that besides the major awards, KPM also honoured students involved in their respective fields in 15 other categories.
"This is in line with the aspirations of KPM to produce holistic people in the midst of every community. This award ceremony can serve as a platform for students to highlight leadership qualities and to be more active in co-curricular activities," he said. Dr. Maszlee Malik also presented the Student Achievement Award 2018 and the Education Minister's Award at the event.
The awards for other categories were presented by Teo Nie Ching, Deputy Minister of Education.
Also present at the ceremony were Director-General of Ministry of Higher Education Datin Paduka Ir. Dr Siti Hamisah Tapsir, Director-General of Polytechnic and Community College Education Department Profesor Dato' Ts Dr. Mohd Ismail Abd Aziz and the management personnel of public and private higher education institutions.
Full list of award recipients for 2018:
1. STUDENT COUNCIL LEADERSHIP AWARD - AFIFAH BINTI ABDUL SHUKOR (UIAM)
2. RESIDENTIAL COLLEGE LEADERSHIP AWARD - MOHD ASWAN MOHD AMIN (UniSZA)
3. FACULTY / ASSOCIATION / CLUB LEADERSHIP AWARD - AMIR FIRDAUS EDDY ROSYADIE (UM)
4. UNIFORMED BODIES LEADERSHIP AWARD - NUR NAJJAH ABD MANAS (USM)
5. ENTREPENEURSHIP PROGRAMME LEADERSHIP AWARD - MUHAMMAD ZIYAD MOHD YAZID (UniSZA)
6. CULTURAL PROGRAMME LEADERSHIP AWARD - JERRY YACOB (USM)
7. SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION PROGRAMME LEADERSHIP AWARD - MUHAMMAD NURFIQRI MOHD HAJAR (UniMAP)
8. SPORTS PROGRAMME LEADERSHIP AWARD - MUHAMMAD SYAFIK RAHMAT (UTM)
9. PUBLIC SPEAKING PROGRAMME LEADERSHIP AWARD - NUR ADIBAH AHMAD ZAMRI (UPSI)
10. INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE PROGRAMME LEADERSHIP AWARD - ABDUL KADIR SHAH SAHIBUDEEN (UM)
11. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS LEADERSHIP AWARD - ADITYA HUTAMA ISWARDI (UPM)
12. VOLUNTEERISM LEADERSHIP AWARD (COMMUNITY WELFARE) - MOHD HAFFIS TEH (UKM)
13. VOLUNTEERISM LEADERSHIP AWARD (ENVIRONMENT) - TAN CHUN TAT (UKM)
14. VOLUNTEERISM LEADERSHIP AWARD (OPEN) - MUHAMMAD IRSYAD ZAINI (UM)
15. BEST VOLUNTEERISM TEAM AWARD - UMISSION CLUB (LEADER : SITI KHADIJAH KHOSIM) (UIAM)